Santa Barbara California History
The history of Santa Barbara, California, began about 13,000 years ago with the arrival of the first Native Americans. Although the first Europeans arrived in the 18th century and founded the colony, the beautiful climate of the Santa Barbara coast attracted inhabitants from all over the world. In 1855, a rail link between the two communities was completed, ending the isolation of the community and securing its status as one of California's most popular tourist destinations.
After the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo a year later, Santa Barbara became part of the United States. Many years later, the inhabitants of Santa Barbara have preserved and celebrated the traditions of historic Santa Barcelona through old Spanish days and fiesta. Also known as OldSpanish Days, it is the largest annual celebration in the US with over 1.5 million participants. Since it is a religious festival that has always been closely linked to the historical Old Mission of Santa Maria, it is only fitting that it takes place annually at the Historic Old Mission of Santa Barbara.
On December 21, 1812, one of the largest earthquakes in California history completely destroyed the first mission and most of Santa Barbara. The most devastating earthquake in California history, the Great California Earthquake of 1811, occurred on December 20, 1861, turning much of the city into a heap of rubble.
At the time of the disaster, Santa Barbara was experiencing a growing community movement, led by Bernard Hoffman and Pearl Chase, who sought a unified architectural style reminiscent of the Spanish colonial past. This made the city the first city in the country to rely on monument protection when planning.
Spanish-style architecture, with a focus on the Spanish-American Civil War and its impact on the history and civil rights of Santa Barbara.
The Santa Barbara Presidio is the oldest and largest of its kind in the entire region, stretching as far as the Los Angeles Pueblo. The mission is a co-founded educational base for students from all over the United States and the world. In the late 19th century, the population of downtown Santa Barbara moved west, including the cities of Santa Maria, Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa.
The Santa Barbara mission was the first mission to open in the United States in 1854 and remains the best mission to survive at a California location. In 1857, a second tower was added, making the mission one of the largest of its kind in California and the second largest in North America.
The Santa Barbara Historical Museum interprets over 500 years of history, and the future remains as bright as the past. The Santa Barbara Trust works closely with the city, county, state and federal governments, as well as local businesses and organizations to educate and engage a broader audience about the living history of the mission and its impact on the community.
The Central Library has published more than 100,000 books, magazines, newspapers and other materials from the late 19th century to the early 1900s.
Mexican - Period Adobe built circa 1830, located at the corner of Main Street and Santa Barbara Avenue in the heart of downtown. During the Mexican War, it was briefly the capital of California, and was supplemented by the California State Capitol in San Francisco and the State House in Los Angeles. These photos capture many events, including the opening of a new library, the first public library in California in 1868, and the construction of new buildings and a library building in 1890.
American Adobe from the year 1856 by Jose and Maria Rochin, which now houses the Santa Barbara Public Library and the California State Library.
The Santa Barbara Presidio, a Spanish military outpost on the Alta California coast, has been preserved in its original form for centuries, surrounded by a series of high-rise buildings and other historic buildings. Today, it is one of the city's most important landmarks and stands out from other major cities in California, such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Jose. In the late 19th century, the San Fernando Valley and the Santa Cruz Mountains towered over the ruins as the site of a large US Army base. The Santa Barbara Presidios were built to have the highest level of security of any military base in the New World.
The Presidio was not completed until 1792, but the nearby Mission of Santa Barbara was consecrated by Father Fermin Lasuen. The tenth California mission, which was established on the site of what is now the San Fernando Valley and the Santa Cruz Mountains, was the first of its kind in the area. Some sources speak of the second largest mission in California after the San Francisco Mission San Jose.